Growing up, we often had salad on the table during dinner. I remember distinctly my dad instructing us to have some before having a second piece of pizza. :-) The rest of it got put in the fridge either to be eaten by my extremely healthy and salad-loving sister or to, ahem, rot.
A couple of years ago, Mom started something different. She put salads into individual pasta bowls at every place before we even sat down. Naturally, we all ate them because they were on our plates. They were yummy, too, usually with raisins and sunflower seeds sprinkled on top. I know that I started eating more salad than I would have otherwise because it was already served to me and because I was eating it first. Smart Mom. :-)
I think I'm addicted to my mom's salad now. When John started visiting, he got acclimated to our salad habit, and now I serve a similar salad before nearly every dinner, too. It's truly a quick, easy vegetable and doing it all the time means that there's virtually no planning required. I usually wash and rip up some organic romaine, but it's even faster to prepare if you use pre-washed baby greens. I sprinkle mine with raisins or dried cranberries if I have them (but I usually don't!) and sunflower seeds, which are full of good fats and folic acid. Since John doesn't care for salad dressing, I just drizzle my own with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Yum!
And there's no leftover salad to rot in the fridge. :-)
new salad heaven: spinach, etc. plus avocado and turkey w/balsamic vinegrette.....sooooo good.
ReplyDeleteOoh, sounds amazing! Toast some whole wheat bread and drizzle it with olive oil, and you'd have a full meal!
ReplyDelete