Friday, September 17, 2010

29 Weeks


I'm starting to wonder how it's possible that I haven't blogged in nearly a week.  There's lots I feel I need to do, and my second-trimester energy is starting to wane.  I'm getting very excited to meet our little girl, but I'm also a little wistful to think that she must have already changed so much from the ultrasound pictures we have from ten weeks ago!  Is it way too early to say "They grow up so fast . . . "?

I remember, at that ultrasound, when they first told us that she is a girl, smiling at John and saying, "You're going to have a wedding to pay for!"  But as some of you may have noticed on facebook a few weeks ago (I forget exactly when), apart from my hopes and prayers for our little girl's salvation, one of my other most basic hopes as a mother is that she may turn out "normal."  John's response was, "Chances of that are slim to none.  You're slim and I'm none!"  And he made me laugh.  [My husband has a wonderful penchant for easing tensions by making others laugh with his apple-of-gold-like words.]  But whether our daughter is hopelessly nerdy because of her parents wasn't really what was on my mind.

On one of our recent Saturday bike-rides to the pizza place at the end of the bike trail, I noticed a family in the restaurant with a baby in a helmet.  She was big enough to be in a high chair, but the helmet didn't look like it was there because they wanted it to be there.  It looked like it was there for medical reasons. After seeing that baby, my mind ran to friends whose only son has spina bifida, and to other friends who lost their youngest to cancer at the age of 30.   I hope that we'll have a wedding to pay for someday, and that our daughter will lead a full and joyful life.  Mostly I hope that she won't suffer because of choices I've made or chances I've taken.  But we are guaranteed nothing, and every day is a gift.

4 comments:

  1. I knew a family who had an infant who wore a helmet, but it was almost like braces for his head. His head plates just needed a little realigning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is wonderful in giving you His grace to handle anything. When John was born with the cleft lip, it was something that I could have never been prepared for...the doctor appointments, post-surgery, etc. However, God gave both Art and me the grace to get through it all and had many, many opportunities to witness to people and for us to learn more about Christ. I'm praying that you will have a healthy baby!
    Love, Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela - thanks; that might have been what it was. I just had never seen that before.

    Janelle - Sometimes I forget that you went through that, since he's so normal and happy now! Thanks for the reminder, and thank you so much for praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think John said it well! Chances are slim to none... :-) Whatever this little girl turns out to be she will be a bundle of joy and pain and hopelessly abnormal!! Most kids are to us adults.

    ReplyDelete