Friday, April 27, 2007

Behold the power of words

I can remember days so hectic that I wished for nothing more than for a _boring_ day for once; well I got one.

I'm not usually very hard-spoken, but sometimes I surprise myself and not in a good way. Sometimes I just need to put the proverbial (or literal) hand on my mouth. Sometimes it's a case of "better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." My speech isn't always either imparting grace or seasoned with salt, but I'd like to think I'm at least aware of it. Sometimes it takes a faithful verbal slap to remind me; I'm glad I at least have people around me that are willing and able to pull that off.

Glory in the distant future is my desire, but not my confidence. God's good providence in the near future is my prayer, but not my confidence. The Spirit's conforming power in my life is my occupation, but not my confidence. The birth of my faith in the recent past is the spark that ignited my spiritual life, but not my confidence. The work of Christ in the distant past is the grounds for my relationship with God, but not my confidence. My confidence finds its substance in the electing choice of God before time began; it is what makes all these possible and even certain, and _that_ is what makes my world go round.

No comments:

Post a Comment