Monday, July 15, 2013

Ugly Horse, faithful steed

Back before Christmas, I mentioned working on a gift for our little nephew...with Ruthie's birth, it didn't get done in time, but I finally finished it this spring for his birthday! And I present to you some poor-quality iPhone shots of Ugly Horse!


Mom made us all stick-horses as gifts when we were growing up, and I was excited to continue the tradition. I had a vintage wool skirt in mind for the head, some frisky red cotton for his mane, and planned to embroider his eyes, nostrils and mouth. All very exciting. :)

Then I made my primary mistake--drawing up my own pattern for his head. I thought I'd give him a nice thick neck like a real horse...


And then Christmas morning came! Aunt Heidi came into town with a homemade stick horse for Gemma in tow. She followed a pattern for hers--


When Gemma opened it, I had to catch my breath. So Victorian! So girly! So beautiful! Why hadn't I followed a pattern? 


I went to Joann to find some fun materials to make a bridle and reins, and they helped some. I stitched them together with a snap on the underside so the bridle can come off, which makes me happy. And that is the tale of Ugly Horse...at least it was for a boy!


2 comments:

  1. he looks great! really! very "horsey" and perfect for boy-ish adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love him! I love them both actually! I think I will make my girl a stick horse too!

    ReplyDelete